Monday, July 19, 2010

The rest of the story

Of-course, I can't go to Nebraska and not try to see as many people as I possibly can, so after we got back from North Platte on Sunday night, I started the second, more tightly scheduled part of my trip.

First stop: Scribner, to see Grandpa and Grandma
We had a great lunch, I taught them all about how "to google", we drove out to see the flood damage from a couple of weeks ago and then we came back to town where they showed me some projects they were working on-- Grandpa is cleaning and re-wiring the oldest electrical cord I have ever seen and Grandma is sorting through old fabric. Then, we discovered the coolest thing. In a bag of fabric she was giving to my mom, Grandma pulls out a piece of white silk. It's a parachute that my Grandpa brought back from England where he was stationed during WWII. They had used part of it to make a baptismal dress for my mom and Grandma thought there was just enough fabric left to make another dress, that is, if there might be a baby anytime soon... hint, hint, wink, wink.Second stop: Wayne
Mom and I survived a deluge thunderstorm on our way from Scriber to Wayne to make it home in time for supper with my dad. We spent the evening on the new 3-season porch and talked until the wee hours of the morning. I've seen them four times in the last eight months, I'm really getting spoiled.

Third stop: Concord
Tuesday morning, I headed to Concord to visit with Aunt Ave and hang with my cousin Mark and Tiff's kids. It was non-stop action with all the "Gayle, guess what?" and "Gayle, watch this!" going on. How she keeps up with them, I will never know. Grandmas really are fountains of never-ending energy.
Fourth stop: Omaha
Tuesday afternoon, it was back to Omaha with Mindy and then off to the historic Joslyn castle for a networking event. Lisa came along too and since we really didn't have anyone to network with, we decided to become better acquainted with the food and drink. Delish. Then we were off to Brix, a wine bar in West O, where we met Carla and proceeded to drink the night away. So much fun.Wednesday was another day in Omaha so the girls all had lunch together again and then Mindy, Jason, Hudson, Skyler and I hit the mall to get out of the super yuck humidity. 95 degrees, dewpoint at 79, heat index of 117. Major suck.I tried to fly out Wednesday night, but for the first time in my life, my flight was "delayed indefinitely" because of a nasty thunderstorm. So, surprise! One more night in Omaha with the Hortons.
A truly fantastic trip to one of my favorite places-- home.

No comments: