Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Ski day #8

We knew it had to happen sometime. We had been getting so lucky. Feet of fresh powder, calm winds, balmy temps, gorgeous central Oregon sun, no lift lines. We knew our good luck with conditions would run out someday.....We skiied in a blizzard yesterday. Well, not exactly a blizzard, but close. I mean, if we had been in Nebraska, it would have been a snow day for sure and we wouldn't have even left the house. The weather looked promising when we left Portland around 8 am. In fact, it looked like the sun was even shining on the east side of the mountain. But after our first run, it all went downhill. The wind picked up, it started to snow, then it started to snow those annoying ice pellets that sting when they hit your cold, wind-burned face. And then, the snow would hit my face, melt and drip down on my coat. I looked like I had been drooling all day. It was hilarious.

But, as it kept snowing, the terrain got better. We were making fresh tracks in fresh snow which is always awesome, no matter what the weather is like. And no one was there. No one. We skiied right up to the chair after every run.
I guess it was good training for a trip we might take someday where we might caught out in the elements and have to suffer through. But, if that's how I'm going to look at it, I'm really going to have get tougher because it was Pansy-town yesterday: Population, me.

No comments: