Monday, May 18, 2009

The Garden, Episode 5

Today's lesson:  Deer prevention.

Last week, I went out to the garden to put in some more strawberries and to my horror, discovered that my green bean starts had been devastated by none other than our friend, the deer.  Apparently Michelle's bed was an appetizer because we saw three hoof prints right through her peas and then he moved on to my beds for the main course.

Well, I didn't have much time, so I fashioned a very ghetto deer defense mechanism from some string, sticks and bird netting:
Last night, I went back over and constructed something a little better.
Linda's sister uses this method to keep deer away from her newly planted seedling trees in Montana.  It's simple and cheap-- just some wooden stakes and fishing line.  I guess deer are fairly particular and if they run into something, they will stay back.  Let's hope.

No comments: