Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Goats Rock.

It all started about two months ago.  I have never been backpacking before (shocking, I know right?) so B and I set aside two sets of dates to go in October.  This past weekend was supposed to be my introductory trip-- an overnighter to climb South Sister in central Oregon.  Next week, we were going to take three days and head to the Goat Rocks Wilderness in Washington. Well, I checked the 10-day forecast on Sunday morning and it is supposed to rain all of next week.  I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy backpacking, but I'm completely sure I'll hate it in the rain.  So, we decided to do this weekend's intro trip to the Goat Rocks instead. 
 
We had the alpine meadows all to ourselves and the weather was perfect.  Not just perfect, but PERFECT.  Not a cloud in the sky, cool in the evening so we didn't even take the tent fly, and probably in the 70's with a breeze during the day.  We hiked in on Sunday afternoon, camped at about 6,000 feet and then climbed Old Snowy Mountain on Monday before hiking back out.  

I firmly believe it was the best decision we have made so far as a married couple.  Seriously.  I have the photos to prove it:




No comments: