Monday, February 27, 2012

Parenthood

There are three very distinct changes that have crept into my life as a new mom. Allow me to elaborate.

Laundry. What the heck is up with the laundry? How can such a tiny girl create so many things to wash? Onesies, bibs, towels, bibs, pants, burp cloths, bibs, blankets, socks, bibs, washcloths, sweaters and more bibs. She has recently turned into a little nugget of drool so everything she touches gets wet which means it then gets grubby. She is officially always grubby. And we, are officially always doing laundry.

Time. I have never been more acutely aware of time in my whole life. What time did she go to bed? How long did she sleep? When did she eat last? Do you think I have time to take a shower before she wakes up? How long did she nurse? When do you need to pump? What time to you have to go to work? What time will you be home? When should we wake her up? When is she going to bed? How long did she sleep last night? Etc. etc. etc. I am constantly aware of what time it is at all times of the day. It seriously makes me anxious when I forget to wear a watch. I am that person now.

Plans. I think my job has prepared me well for parenthood. At work, I plan for a living. Well, apparently, I do that at home now too. For me, as a parent, in order to not let my day fall into complete chaos, I have to have a plan. For example: we're going to go for a walk, and if Kate falls asleep in the stroller, I'll just go over to the grocery store really quick and then when we get home, she'll eat, and then play while I'll make dinner. A good, solid plan. Yeah, yeah, sometimes the plan doesn't work out--like yesterday when my plans for two waterfall hikes were thwarted by snow and an incredibly cute sleeping baby--but having one works. For me.

Being a Mom is the most challenging, stressful, worrisome, all-consuming job ever. It's funny, I knew it would be that way, but I didn't really know until I got into the thick of it. But that darn cute little girl, with her "I'm-a-Leo-and-therefore-a-lion-and-the-boss" personality, makes all the challenge, stress and worry disappear into the background. All I see it what an amazing girl she is going to become and I'm so excited.

No comments: