Monday, June 22, 2009

In honor of Dad

One of the bummer things about living so far from my family is that holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas just don't have the same effect, just don't feel quite right.  But there are other holidays that fall off the radar too, like Father's Day.  

Since we couldn't be with them, B and I honored both of our Dads by doing things we enjoyed yesterday-- a bike ride around Sauvie Island and then a hike in the gorge.  

I thought a lot about my dad yesterday.  Was he thinking about his kids?  Was he out on the boat or grilling in the back yard?  Was he doing something he enjoyed?  When I think about all of the things he taught me-- how to shoot a basketball, drive a stick shift, how to treat people with respect, how to have a sense of humor-- it makes me realize what a lucky little daddy's girl I still am.

No comments: